Welcome to the Sleep Project (disambiguation: not to be confused with invaluable advice blogs helping parents of babies survive with their sanity intact!) My Sleep Project has a longer trajectory – I want to see new kinds of human relationships becoming commonplace.
Read ‘Welcome to the Sleep Project’ first, because without it my other posts might come across a bit strangely: https://sleepproject.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/hello-world/
What I am looking for is a conversation about some of my assumptions:
- that hetero couple relationships often introduce a host of rules into our lives – many of which are unspoken
- although some rules are helpful, unspoken rules can create angst, cause harm and crush the spirit
- although we might understand where these have come from, this doesn’t mean that we should still accept them
- these rules can limit our development and our engagement with the world and other people
- traditional relationship models can carry these rules into newer forms of couple including gay relationships.
- love and sex are deeply enmeshed but do not require each other – so we should experiment more
- white anglo culture is a very isolating way for people to live – so we should connect more
- we are over-sexualised by the media and by our victorian ancestors – so we should create more de-sexualised spaces
- our gender is too often taken as a blueprint for our sexuality, which causes deep confusion – we must challenge this most of all
- sexuality labels are our response to discrimination and prejudice – when we have defeated prejudice we won’t need them.